Saturday, October 15, 2005

we're not all like this.

Let me state up front that I'm a Christian. I believe that God created the world and everything in it. I also believe that we're all sinners and that Jesus died to save us from those sins.

That said, who the hell are these people and why have they co-opted my religion???

I understand it's AFA's prerogative to boycott whatever they choose for whatever reason they want. That's fine.* What cheeses me off is that, contrary to what the right-wing wants you to believe, Christianity isn't about overturning Roe v. Wade. And it's not about making sure a gay couple you've never met, and will most likely never meet, can't get a civil union.

It's easy to say, "those horrible girls who get abortions, and their poor fetuses, I'd never do that," because abortion is (thankfully) not something most of us encounter with any sort of frequency. It's easy to say, "I think marriage should only be between a man and a woman and I'm going to vote to amend the Constitution to keep it that way," because, well, if you're voting for it, I'd say there's a fairly good chance you're heterosexual and will thus never feel the effects of the amendment you're voting for. (Handy, huh?)

My knowledge of the Bible isn't nearly as exhaustive as it should be, but I seem to remember a couple of verses here and there about feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, etc. Maybe a couple of verses about defending the fatherless and pleading the case of the widow? It's our duty as Christians to do these things. And there are many Christian organizations that have taken up the mantle. But the single-minded focus on "moral issues" have made it so that now, when people hear about Christians, they don't think about the Foundation for the Homeless or International Justice Mission, or any other of a number of Christian organizations that have taken Micah 6:8 to heart.** All they see is a group of self-righteous, self-interested, self-aggrandizing blowhards who are more concerned with pointing out other people's sins than they are with their own. And we're not all like that. I know we aren't.

I want my religion back.


*Heck, it's probably a good financial decision, because those dolls--and all their attendant accessories--are pricey (yes, I have one and yes, I was a little princess) .
** "And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." -Micah 6:8, NIV

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home